HSR has called many places home over the years as the company has grown and expanded from its beginnings in 1972 on Roehl Road in Albuquerque into Tularosa in southern New Mexico in 1974 and later across the Tularosa Basin into Las Cruces in 1984. With historic preservation as a core value of the company, HSR acquired historic properties with the intent of serving as caretakers and ensuring the recognition the buildings deserved within their communities.
Located at 314 Granado Street in the heart of the Tularosa Town Site Historic District, HSR’s Tularosa office has served as the central corporate headquarters and financial center since 1977. It houses not only financial records, but also a professional library, a map library, computers, layout space for work and drafting and collection and equipment storage. The surrounding area has retained its historic flavor, changing little over the years.
The laboratory was acquired on January 31, 1990, through the generosity of the Woman's Club of Tularosa. Located at 609 6th Street in Tularosa, the property is listed as a contributing property to the Tularosa Town Site Historic District (Nomination #703). The building has been an integral part of the community since May 7, 1902 when the Clayton family gave the deed of the property to the "Ladies Earnest Working Club" (forerunner to the Woman's Club) for the purpose of building a Christian Church.
The southern portion of the building is the turn-of-the century original "Union Church," the first protestant church in Tularosa and the mother church of the First Baptist, Nazarene and United Methodist churches in Tularosa.
The Woman's Club of Tularosa was incorporated as a domestic nonprofit organization on May 14, 1918. It was a prominent member of the Tularosa Community for many years but by 1990 the membership had diminished, and the active officers and members decided to cease operations as a Woman's Club. They chose to withdraw as members of the New Mexico Federation of Women's Clubs rather than being dropped for non-payment of dues.
The L-shaped adobe has a tiled gable roof and portal and is a good example of the 1930s Mission Revival.
When HSR sold the building in July 2004, restricted covenants were added to the deed to ensure that modifications would not be made to the property that could jeopardize its listing as a contributing property to the Tularosa Town Site Historic District.
Located at 535 South Melendres in Las Cruces, the HSR Las Cruces office is housed in the historic Civilian Conservation Corps Camp BR-39N Schoolhouse. HSR was successful in having the building listed on the State Register of Cultural Properties. In August 2007, it will be nominated to the National Register of Historic Places. Plans are underway to preserve and fully restore this amazing building by July 2008 in time for the 75th anniversary of President Roosevelt's signing of the New Deal legislation.
The building was constructed in 1938 by the young men living in the CCC Camp located directly across the street. Details of the design and proposed use of the building are provided in several issues of Organ Echoes, the CCC Camp newsletter. The large front room with its fireplace was used as a library and reading room. The fireplace is made from quartz and various colored stones while the mantle is green ricolite from Redrock Canyon, south of Mill Creek, New Mexico. The hearth is red brick. Other rooms served as classrooms, wood working shop, photography room and quarters for an Educational Advisor of the CCC Camp.
Following the demise of the CCC, the former CCC buildings were used to house Italian and German POWs. According to Dr. Ira G. Clark, Supervisor of the State Emergency Farm Labor Program, the first contingent of POWs arrived in Doņa Ana County in August 1943. The state Agricultural Extension director assigned 1,000 POWs to Doņa Ana County. The Army used the former CCC Camp schoolhouse for the headquarters of the Italian and German POW camp. Captain Clark J. Williams was in charge of this camp and his office was located in the northwest classroom of the CCC schoolhouse.
On November 25, 1958 the property passed from the hands of the Elephant Butte Irrigation District of New Mexico which had owned the parcel since 1922 into private ownership. Since 1958 the building has served as a doctor's office and leased to Southwest Mental Health, used as print shop and art gallery, was the original COAS Bookstore, and has been HSR's office, laboratory facility, and archives since 1998.