Star Throwers of the Tularosa resulted of an inventory of Cold War era properties on White Sands Missile Range, as part of a Department of Defense Legacy Resource Management Program demonstration project. The properties investigated, constructed between 1942 and 1964, represent elements of an installation type essential to the Cold War historic theme at the national level of importance. They are diverse in structure and represent a range in function from launch and instrumentation facilities to barracks, laboratories, and missile-assembly buildings to administration buildings, and Army and Navy to NASA facilities.
A narrative history of White Sands Missile Range and the vehicles tested there was compiled and historic contexts and a historical timeline were developed. These provided the basis for identifying historic properties associated with the role of the missile range in arms development in the United States. Richly illustrated with photographs and technical drawings, Star Throwers of the Tularosa provides a synthesis of early Cold War historic contexts and significant properties. It was the first step in recognizing and preserving the rich military history of White Sands Missile Range and its place in the heritage of the nation.
Return to Publications